Marilyn
When I prepare meals, I try to focus on the health benefits of each meal.  I never compromise taste.  I  include as many therapeutic delicious tasting dishes as I can.  For me, a meal tastes especially good when I feel energetic after the meal!  This is one of the best compliments my guests will often give me - when they tell me how good they feel after the meal, as well as how much they enjoyed it.

Fermented foods are so valuable for their enzymes for digestion.   I try to include them whenever it would be complimentary with the rest of the meal.  For instance, Miso is a fermented food and I will include Miso in a salad dressing or put it into a soup wherever I can. (never boil Miso or it will destroy its valuable healthy properties of replenishing the intestinal flora. (friendly bacteria in the intestines)

For instance, sometimes I will make a Tempeh Reuben Sandwich with generous amounts of sauerkraut.  I prepare my own simple Kim Chee by putting vegetables in the food processor.  Carrots, celery, beets, green/red cabbage sea vegetables  (arame or hizike), etc.  I will either use a fermentation starter and/or add celtic salt, cayenne and sometimes a tiny squeeze of lemon juice.  I put this in a large Mason jar with a tight lid and set it out without refrigeration for about a week before putting in the refrigerator.  The recipe never comes out the same because I am not using a recipe.  I am merely using the vegetables I have on hand in the refrigerator.

Below is a couple of samplings of dishes I recently made for our simple lunch. Simple for me, means the recipes take only a few minutes to prepare!  The description of dishes is also below.


The top picture wooden plate is made up of Kim Chee, Spicy Beet Borscht & Cashew Sour Cream, Coleslaw, Potato Salad and Tempeh Bacon with Vegetables (Lettuce/Carrots) Wrap and garnished with olives.

The bottom wooden plate is made up of Coleslaw, olives/Avocado, Jerusalem Artichokes with Sun-dried Tomatoes, basil and capers. and Spicy Beet Borsch/Cashew Sour Cream.  Many of the recipes can be found in my book, Vegan Bite By Bite.

When I prepare menu meals for my husband and myself  I'm keeping in mind the calcium foods and foods high in iron, etc.  I am not concerned with getting enough protein because I know that as long as we are eating whole grains, legumes (beans & lentils, etc.) seeds, nuts, fruits and vegetables we are getting plenty of protein, as long as we eat enough calories for our body.