These recipes are an excerpt from the book Vegan Bite by Bite by Marilyn Peterson
Udon Noodles-Broccoli-Tofu with Spicy Peanut Ginger Sauce
This recipe makes a delicious entree or side dish served hot, or re-served cold. There is economical and nutritional value in peeling the broccoli stems and cutting and slicing them, utilizing the whole vegetable rather than just the florets when preparing broccoli.
Noodles-Tofu & Broccoli
1- 8 ounce package Udon noodles, (follow directions on package)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 pound tofu, firm, cut into 1/2” square cubes
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
6 medium (1 cup) shitake mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, small, 1/4”-1/2” dice
2 cups broccoli florets, pressed tightly in a measuring cup
2 medium carrots (1 cup) shredded
2 tablespoons nama shoyu soy sauce
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
3 green scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons peanuts (dry roasted) chopped
1. Prepare Spicy Peanut Ginger Sauce recipe.
2. Noodles-Tofu & Broccoli: Cook Udon noodles until tender, rinse and drain. Toss noodles with 1/2 of the peanut sauce in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a large sauté pan, sauté tofu in sesame oil. Add nama shoyu sauce. Brown on all sides over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, mushrooms, red bell pepper and broccoli and cover with a lid and cook until slightly browned. (Al dente)
4. When the vegetables are almost done and feel slightly tender, toss in carrots, stir around a few times, and take the mixture off of the heat.
5. Combine the Udon noodles and the vegetables with the remaining peanut sauce until the noodles are evenly coated.
6. Serve immediately and garnish with bean sprouts, scallions and toasted peanuts, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
Yield serves 4 - 6
Spicy Peanut Ginger Sauce
Almond Butter can be used instead of Peanut Butter if you prefer. For any leftovers, this recipe goes well with any type noodle or steamed green vegetable. This sauce goes with the Udon Noodles-Broccoli-Tofu recipe.
1 cup peanut butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 teaspoon shallot, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3/4 cup water, pure
3 tablespoons nama shoyu soy sauce
3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red crushed chile pepper seeds
1. In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
2. Serve over selected recipe choice.
Yield 1-1/2 cups
This sauce is best made into a medium thick consistency.
EXCERPT FROM VEGAN BITE BY BITE BY MARILYN PETERSON