Vegetable Stir Fry
1 Brown Rice recipe serves 4
4-1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound extra firm *tofu, drain 1 hour, cubed 1/2”
1 cup red onion (1/2 large) sliced thin
2 cups (8 medium) shitake mushrooms, sliced (de-stem)
2 cups celery (2 stalks) cut diagonally, sliced thin
1-1/2 tablespoons ginger, minced, 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3/4 cup baby carrots, cut diagonally 1/4”
1 small red pepper, deseeded, sliced thin strips
2 cups broccoli (1 small head) cut into florets
2 cups cauliflower, broken into florets
2 cups eggplant (1 small) 1/2” cubes *(sprinkle salt on eggplant to draw out water)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt *(salt and pepper seasoning for tofu Step 2)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper, ground
1 medium head bok choy, sliced diagonally into thin strips
10 asparagus spears, sliced diagonally
5 large cloves garlic (3 tablespoons) sliced very thin (step 5)
3 cups bean sprouts
2 teaspoons wasabi powder
1 tablespoon ‘hot & spicy’ *Szechuan sauce (optional)
7-8 tablespoons nama shoyu soy sauce (to taste)
4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
Thai basil, 30 small leaves, sliced fine (use regular basil if you can't find Thai Basil)
Garnish: black sesame seeds
1. Keep brown rice and *tofu warm until the stir-fry is ready for serving together.
2. In a medium skillet, heat 1-1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil over medium-high heat, 3 minutes, add tofu and *seasonings, brown evenly while continuously shaking pan.
3. Reserve *tofu for later use. In your wok, or extra large non-stick skillet heat 2 tablespoons of remaining sesame oil on medium heat. Add onions, *eggplant and mushrooms. Do not stir for 4-5 minutes, letting the mushrooms and onions brown. Stir in minced ginger and garlic.
4. Add carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower. Do not stir. Turn up heat, 5 minutes, let vegetables brown, al dente.
5. Add bok choy, asparagus, red pepper, garlic slices and bean sprouts, turn up heat full high, add remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. Brown 3 minutes, stir vigorously, flipping vegetables in pan and tossing gently, 3-5 minutes.
6. In a tiny bowl mix sauce ingredients. For 'Spicy' add Szechuan sauce)
7. Turn heat down to simmer, add and stir sauce for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and serve with Brown Rice recipe. Place the warm tofu on top of the vegetables.
Yield serves 4-6+