Excerpted from my book, Vegan Bite by Bite
When cooking rice, it should be prepared on the dry side, rather than moist. (optional) This recipe can be baked the day before and chilled. This allows the recipe to set up, then cut in portions. Left over chilled Neat Loaf is great as a sandwich filling. This recipe is a favorite hit for entertaining & great freezer item.
3 cups brown rice, (1-1/2 cups raw rice = 3 cups cooked.)
1 large onion (2-1/2 cups) peeled, diced small
3 tablespoons liquid aminos
2 cups walnuts
2 cups sourdough bread, cut, (pressed down in cup)
3 tablespoons garlic
1 pound tofu, (extra firm) drained and crumbled
1-1/2 cups tomato ketchup
Note: additional ketchup is also used below in the recipe.
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
2 teaspoons coriander, ground
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
olive oil spray, as needed
1/2 cup tomato ketchup for basting the top on Neat Loaf
1. In a medium pot add rice to 3 cups boiling water, cover, turn heat on simmer, turn off heat at 45 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes to absorb any moisture.
2. In a hot non-stick sauté pan, simmer, mix and stir the onions with liquid aminos until caramelized (about 10 -15 minutes). Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350º F.
4. In a food processor, separately (one at a time) pulverize garlic, walnuts, and bread. Empty each of the pulverized ingredients from the processor into one large bowl.
5. By hand, drain and squeeze moisture from tofu and crumble it into the bowl.
6. Add the caramelized onions, rice, 1-1/2 cups ketchup to the bowl. Add spices and mix thoroughly until fully incorporated and it resembles sticky dough.
7. Spray the inside of a 9”x 13” x 2” Pyrex dish with olive oil and fill it with the Neat Loaf mixture. Pat the mixture down so it is packed tightly and evenly.
8. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until it turns golden brown on top. Remove from oven. Spread 1/2 cup tomato ketchup on top, bake about 30 minutes more, and remove, verifying that it is mostly dry to the touch. Set aside for 20 minutes before cutting. Neat Loaf is best moist inside, yet dry enough to cut in slices or square portions, and serve.
9. For the freezer, allow to cool, then put in airtight containers, name and date label with a marking pen.
Yield 10 slices or squares +